Monday, March 25, 2013

Genesis 20: Ooops, He Does It Again

Well, Abraham does it again! We don’t know why he moved from where he was… we have no indication that God told him to leave where he was settled. We find out here that Abraham made a pact with his wife, Sarah, saying “Everywhere we go… say you’re my sister.” Now, at this point Sarah is roughly 89 years old. She was obviously still a beautiful woman.

They enter new territory and the King sends for Sarah and brings her to the castle. Once again, God intervenes and tells the King, Abimelech, that he is a “dead man” because Sarah is married. Abimelech proclaims his innocence, saying what he did he did with integrity. And I love the way God responds by saying “Yes, I know in the integrity of your heart you’ve done this… and I also kept you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her.” 

How many times has God protected me from sinning against Him? How many times did He know that one more brush of that man’s hand against mine… one more  minute alone with him… would have caused me to sin? Me… walking away disappointed, not thinking to thank my Creator for protecting me. How many times was I angry at God for not giving me what I wanted? A certain job? A particular relationship? For answering “No” to my prayers. And how many times did I feel He just wasn’t paying attention to me Ignoring me up there in heaven when all the time He was saying “Honey, if you could only see the big picture you’d know why I must keep silent right now, or deny this request that looks perfect to you. But I see disaster and heartbreak.”  I can’t help but wonder.
Image

So Abimelech confronts Abraham on his deception… and Abe gives his excuse for his lie. He explains that it was only a half-lie because Sarah IS his HALF sister… and he was afraid for his life because the people of the land had no fear of the Lord. That’s almost funny when you think about it. And in the back of my mind I can’t help but wonder WHY Abraham didn’t get severely punished for HIS sin? I will always wonder I suppose, unless you have an answer for me.

Abimelech sends Sarah and Abraham off with goods and money, and tells them they may settle wherever they please in the kingdom. In the meantime, God had closed up all the wombs of the women in the home while Sarah was with the King, but once Abraham prayed for them all, God restored health to the household.

Bottom line: Abraham, once again, did not give God a chance to show His faithfulness. Yes, God stepped in on his behalf… but WHY did Abraham still find the need to do everything himself? This is God… who came and spoke to Abraham… sent messengers in person… talked audibly to him. Why does he still feel at times that God is not with him? Were there too many silent days? I know I get antsy when God is silent. Who am I to judge Abraham?

No comments:

Post a Comment